Back in January, I had the assignment from hell. Every day, I had to cold-call 50 people I didn’t know, asking if they wanted digital marketing for their business. There were several things wrong with this scenario:
1) Most people I spoke with didn’t know what digital marketing was or why they needed it.
2) I had a quota to fulfill, so I didn’t have the luxury of time to research their companies.
3) I undervalued what Got Clicks brought to the table thinking that a big-named company could deliver the goods better than my little company. I was wrong.
4) The power is NOT in the list, (I had literally thousands at my fingertips…) the power is in what you have to offer.
What did I do? Well, I didn’t hit quota, I can tell you that. (Nor did many of the other salespeople I had trained with for that big conglomerate.) But I came away with something far more important. We were missing something in our technique – the ability to listen.
Stop Putting Cats in Dresses
I made the simple (yet fatal…) mistake of talking about my solution before understanding their company, their products, or even understanding what their pain points were. As entrepreneurs, we create a product or solution first and THEN look for customers to sell our product to. It needs to be the other way around. Find the Pain, Find the Money THEN Follow Your Heart. Otherwise, you’re putting cats in dresses – forcing your solution to people who really don’t want (or need…) what you have to offer.
I spent endless amounts of time yapping about how I used Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and a kickin’ lead capture page to generate leads (and results.) What’s wrong with that? Nothing – if it’s the right fit for that customer.
But what if it isn’t?
I’ve had more than one client have HUGE success independent of social media. Why? Because they spent the time learning what their clients REALLY were hungry for. They created what I like to call “Raging Cookie Fans.” Raging cookie fans will go to great lengths to find you if you have what they’re hungry for. Social media and web pages only make it easier for them to find you. But you MUST have the product, solution or service your fan base is hungry for, otherwise, no Facebook, Twitter or cool website will EVER work if you fail to understand the pain points your customers face and how you can solve them.
The Click Retreat Begins This September
S-E-L-L is a four-letter word
Marketing means misery
Your client base has fallen off and you don’t know why…
Then maybe it’s time for The Click.
I began teaching this workshop last April and it was a HUGE success. I’m teaching it again in September and it’s perfect for those of you who are:
- Stuck in your business and need a serious reboot.
- Considering starting a business, but you find social media and website stuff overwhelming.
- You want some hand-holding and help honing your message and finding RAGING cookie fans for your product or service.
- You’d like someone to unveil your communication style and how you can successfully approach your clients without it being a hollow, sales-y pitch.
- You want to meet other entrepreneurs who are interested in joint venture opportunities.
- You want a weekend away where your main focus is on the messaging of your company.
- You don’t want a “rah-rah” weekend and then it’s over. You want continuity, a well-defined start-to-finish program that you can implement with your style and your clients in mind.
If it’s time for you to Find The Click, LEARN MORE HERE
This entry was posted in Facebook, Niche Marketing, Rebranding, SEO, Social Marketing, Social Media Training, vt internet marketing, Websites and tagged 50+ entrepreneurs, baby boomer entrepreneurs, business startup, Small business, start a business.